As two of the most highly sought after steel grades on the market,many questions come up between the differences in 1018 and A36 steel.How different is A36 from 1018?Are they equivalent material grades?Let's take a look at the differences between them.
1018 can come in cold drawn or hot rolled forms,but it is frequently purchased as a cold drawn product.We'll assume 1018 is in its cold drawn state in this comparison.It typically comes in bar form in various sizes and shapes.1018 steel is a mild low carbon steel with good ductility,toughness and strength qualities.1018 steel can be easily welded using most welding processes.Capital Steel & Wire for example makes 1018 cold drawn bar in square,hexagon,round and flat bar shapes and can cut it in any specified length.
ASTM A36 steelis one of the most widely manufactured grades of steel,as it has many different applications across many industries.Like 1018,it can be hot rolled or cold drawn, but is typically hot rolled.So again,in this comparison,we'll assume A36 is hot rolled.It comes in many different bar shapes including squares,rounds, rectangles,and is also often manufactured into channels,angles,I-Beams and H-Beams.It is also commonly manufactured as a steel plate product.
Chemically, A36 and 1018 are very similar.
|Phosphorus, P (max)||0.04%||0.04%|
|Sulfur, S (max)||0.05%||0.05%|
Whether steel is hot rolled or cold drawn has a significant impact on the mechanical properties as noted in the table below.
|Tensile Strength||58,000 psi||63,000 psi|
|Yield Strength||36,300 psi||53,700 psi|
|Elongation (50 mm)||20%||15%|
1018 steel is used over A36 for applications that require machining,because it responds to machining fairly well.1018 is most commonly used in high volume screw machine parts including shafts,spindels,pins and rods.A36 is often used as a mass steel product for the industrial and construction industries for making buildings,bridges,railroads,oil rigs and more.A36 is easy to weld with any standard welding methods,and with lower yield strengths than 1018,it is easier to bend.
Because cold drawing steel is more labor intensive and time intensive,the price of hot rolled products is significantly less than cold drawn.For products that do not require higher quality finishes and high strength and machinability characteristics,A36 makes a lot more sense than 1018 simply for the reduced cost alone.
As you can see,the mechanical and chemical properties of 1018, the machinability and the surface finish of 1018 steel are all superior to A36.However,the big advantage of A36 is the overall cost.When deciding between the two steels,take into consideration the end application and the quantity that you will need.
If you need any info or price details on steel plate of Q235A,Q235B or equivalent steel standard ASTM A36 and SS400, don't hesitate to send a message now!
- Main steel product
- 18 8 stainless steel corrosion
- custom made steel pipe
- what is en s355j2g2w weather resistant coil
- fast delivery JIS G 3114 SMA400AP corten steel data sheet
- supply q265gnh anti weathering corrosion coil
- buy alloy tool steel
- sm490 mechanical properties for york
- sus304ln carbon hot rolled steel coil made in china
- hr sheet s355j2 n s235jr en 10025 hot rolled steel plate p
- what is A588 Gr C corten steel factory direct price
- en 10025 5 s355j0w weather steel for container for sale
- JIS SMA400CP weather proof steel coil for sale
- architectural steel sheet steels
- prefab welded steel h beam for steel structure building
- ASME SA588 SA588M weather steel for railway application
- what is ASTM A588 Grade A weather steel for building decoration
- made in china stainless steel hydraulic tube
- ASME SA588 Gr C weather steel for sale for sale
- sm520 grade steel
- buy ss400 4mm high quality checkered plate
- buy aluminum to alloy coated steel roof sheeting
- Supply low cost Q295GNH weather steel corten plate
- c35 carbon steel pipe
- china product manufacturer 30x3square steel pipe
- China factory EN 10155 S355K2G2W weather steel chemical composition